Injectable facial contouring (beauty injections) is a modern injection method for improvement of the shape (contour) of the face, nose, chin or lips, removal of age-related skin changes (wrinkles) in one procedure. During the procedure, a syringe is used to inject special products, which add volume (lost with age), rejuvenate or efface facial wrinkles. The effect is visible immediately. No recovery is required almost after all beauty injections.
Injectable facial contouring has been widely used since 1964 (the year when the French Society of Mesotherapy was established). Since then, beauty shots have become a rejuvenating and revitalizing technique in cosmetology, rather than a type of therapy.
Safety of injections
Before the procedure, the client has to consult a doctor to determine contraindications. Sterile instruments and certified products are used for procedures.
Efficiency and popularity of injectable facial contouring
Beauty shots are in demand because of their advantages:
✓ effective, The effect of anti-wrinkle injections is immediately visible.
✓ do not require recovery,
✓ alternative to plastic surgery,
✓ can be done at any time of the year.
Individual consultation with a beautician at ANACOSMA in Kyiv helps to predict the result of the procedure. Reviews from customers, who chose to efface facial wrinkles in the clinic, say more than words. After all, Botox injections make it possible to stop time and prolong youth.
Botulinum toxin and face fillers
Various medicinal products are used for beauty shots. Fillers based on hyaluronic acid, peptides and other substances, or Botulinum toxin. There is a significant difference in the mode of action between these groups. Fillers deliver substances for cellular rejuvenation and skin repair, as well as add volume lost with age.
Botulinum toxin blocks the transmission of nerve impulses in the injection area. Due to the relaxation and immobilization of the muscles, it is possible to achieve the effect of rejuvenation and smoothing of wrinkles. What can be corrected with Botulinum toxin? With the help of this product, it is possible to smooth wrinkles between the eyebrows, wrinkles on the forehead, wrinkles around the eyes (“crow’s feet”), folds on the neck, lift the eyebrows, open the eyes.
Botulinum toxin: types of products
- Botox is the first medicinal product based on pure Botulinum toxin. It is used to combat wrinkles, for face lifting, to eliminate nervous tic.
- Dysport is a Botulinum toxin-based drug with added human albumin and lactose.
- Xeomin is a German drug based on pure neurotoxin, synthesized in 2001. Unlike Botox and Dysport, it does not contain complex-forming proteins. Therefore, the risk of an allergic reaction is minimal, and adherence to the drug is ruled out (thus, the duration of the drug effect does not decrease with time). Effective to combat both all types of facial wrinkles, and increased perspiration.
What wrinkles can be smoothed with “beauty shots”?
Botox injections are effective only for expression wrinkles. These are age-related changes that appear in areas with high activity of facial muscles (in the corners of eyes, vertical near the mouth, between eyebrows, etc.). With each movement, the skin gathers in folds, and it relaxes at rest. The smoothing rate depends on the concentration of collagen and elastin, the presence of moisture in the dermis. After 25 years, the skin becomes more dry and less elastic, which leads to the development of wrinkles in the form of creases and dimples.
The most common locations of expression wrinkles:
- horizontal on the forehead. They appear with surprise, delight,
- between the eyebrows, “wrinkles of anger”,
- “Crow’s feet” – radial creases around outer corners of eyes,
- radial around the mouth,
- longitudinal on the skin of the neck.
Important: Botox injections are effective only for expression wrinkles. They have no effect on gravitational changes.
Botulinum toxin effects
What are the possible complications
Negative effects after Botox injections are due to violation of the rules for recovery by a beautician or a patient. Unskilled doctors, including beauticians without higher medical education, may cause:
- Crooked smile. This appears due to the asymmetrical relaxation of muscles of the left and right side of the face.
- Problematic articulation. It occurs in partial paralysis of the muscular system of the larynx.
- Difficulty in eating and swallowing food. It occurs due to violations of the drug dosage or the protocol of Botox administration in the area of nasolabial folds.
- Ptosis of the eyelids and eyebrows. This occurs with excessive administration of the drug. Botulinum toxin is not a substance able to provide dose-dependent long-lasting results. Due to the excess volume of the drug, muscles of the forehead relax excessively and fall on the eyes, causing ptosis.
- Slow or rapid pulse. Caused by the wrong dosage, violations of the rules of the preparation protocol for the procedure, non-compliance with the rules of sterility.
- Occur in 2-3 % of clients due to the unusual distribution of the load on the muscles of the face.
- “Frozen face” or “mask” effect. Total lack of facial expression looks weird and frightening. Therefore, during the initial consultation with a beautician, specify what kind of effect you would like to achieve: youth and naturalness, or complete muscle relaxation. Xeomin is recommended for the first case. In the total fight against expression wrinkles, full statics is guaranteed by Botox and Dysport.
To avoid negative effects after injections with Botulinum toxin, we advise you to choose a beautician and clinic carefully, and read customer reviews in advance. Administration of Botulinum toxin is not a procedure that can be performed in a corner of a nail salon or in an apartment by someone who has passed a three-week course. This is a serious invasive procedure, requiring knowledge of anatomy, neurology, and higher medical education. Therefore, we advise you to contact professionals at ANACOSMA.
There can be complications due to violations of the recovery rules by patients. For normal recovery and quality results after the procedure it is prohibited to:
- go to baths, saunas, tanning parlours, take hot baths for 48 hours,
- massage the face, apply make-up or care products, touch the injection sites for 2 days,
- administer fillers, go to mesotherapy for a week,
- undergo peeling (laser, acid, ultrasound) for a month,
- actively engage in sports for 3 weeks,
- take tetracycline drugs, group B vitamins, muscle relaxants, and aspirin for 2 weeks.
Observation of all recommendations will prevent complications after the procedure.
IMPORTANT: based on the recent scientific data, alcohol intake in moderate amounts, as well as a horizontal position after the procedure are not contraindications for a good result of Botulinum therapy.
The effect after the procedure lasts for up to 5 months. It is necessary to re-inject the products in six months after Botox injections.
Prevention and treatment of complications
Botox, Dysport, Xeomin retain their effect for up to 6 months. During this time, they are gradually eliminated from the body, the muscle fibres regain their ability to contract and conduct impulses.
The negative effects of Botulinum toxin can be neutralized. To do this, the client has to visit a beautician. Depending on the zone and severity of the situation a professional will prescribe:
- manual or instrumental lymphatic drainage massage. Instrumental effects on the area activate blood circulation and metabolism. Botox is excreted much faster. Two 40-minute sessions are appointed per week. The treatment course includes at least 5 procedures,
- Microinjections with biologically active substances are administered in the problem area. They neutralize the action of Botox and restore mobility,
- Heat compresses and masks. Heating the Botox site accelerates blood circulation. The drug starts degrading faster and is excreted by the body. Depending on skin type, age of the patient and location, tonic, soothing or rejuvenating compositions are chosen. A mask or compress is applied to cleansed skin. Then it is covered with a piece of plastic food wrap and a warm terry towel. A steamed face with widened pores actively absorbs components, blood circulation is activated.
The main thing is to immediately consult a doctor in cases of signs of complications. Additionally, a cosmetologist, after consulting with a physician, may prescribe medications for the rapid elimination of Botulinum toxin. For example, diuretics.
Facial fillers are products based on hyaluronic acid or calcium. Additionally, peptides, vitamins, and coenzymes may be included in the composition. Fillers fill wrinkles from the inside, activate the synthesis of elastin and collagen, trigger cell renewal, and eliminate dehydration.
This is a special facial filler, which consists of calcium hydroxylapatite (CaHA) microcrystals, gel carrier, Ca2+ and PO3- ions. How does the effect appear after contouring with Radiesse filler? Immediately during the administration, the gel fills the wrinkle from the inside, smoothing the surface. Calcium microspheres and ions stimulate cells to form a new framework of elastin and collagen, which is lost with age and because of which the tissues sag, facial contours become indistinct, and so called “bulldog cheeks” appear. Over time, the drug is dissolved, but the effect of lifted tissues, a young face with a clear oval and cheekbones remains.
To efface nasolabial wrinkles. The gel instantly fills nasolabial wrinkles from the inside. At the same time the skin remains mobile and soft. Calcium ions form a new framework for elastin and collagen. Due to this, a lifting effect without surgery is achieved.
For contouring on the cheekbones, facial contours, and chin. The wrinkle filler is suitable to form a clear contour, fill the hollow cheekbones, form youthful cheeks in patients over 30 years of age. Injections of medicinal products make the face more defined, young, expressive.
✓ Side effects and how to avoid them
Sometimes after administration of the filler redness, itching, tingling or discolouration appear at the site of injection around wrinkles. Such effects resolve unassisted within 24 hours after the procedure. To prevent side effects, one must abstain from make-up, outdoor activities and strenuous activity.
✓ How long-lasting is the result?
Due to the presence of calcium microcrystals in its composition, Radiesse maintains the result at the injection site for up to 2 years.
✓ Why Radiesse? (benefits)
Facial contouring using the medicinal product has the following advantages:
- The duration of the result. Up to 2 years without wrinkles in the injection area compared to 6 months after using hyaluronic acid.
- An alternative to plastic surgery – effect of lifting, a clear contour of the face.
- The speed of the procedure. Up to 45 minutes.
- High bioadaptivity. The drug is not rejected by the body, does not cause side effects.
- The site of drug administration remains soft.
- The gel stays at the injection site, does not move to other zones.
- Instant result.